These long-established features of their respective social networks allow users to quickly and easily pass on information from their information streams directly to their personal networks.
How is it that Instagram - which is owned by Facebook - still doesn't have this capability?
To be fair, Instagram does allow you to share an image with selected individuals that you follow. However, it does not let you share a picture that you like with all of your Instagram followers.
Fortunately, there are third-party photo apps which give you the ability to do this. The process is a little clumsy, but let's see how it works.
How to Repost a Picture on Instagram
Our favorite free app for accomplishing this task is Repost for Instagram.
Available for both iOS and Android, the app allows you to put another Instagram user’s picture into your Instagram feed while also providing credit to that person or business.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make this happen. These instructions are for iOS; adjust as required for Android devices.
(1) Download the Repost for Instagram app from the Apple App Store or Google Play to your phone or tablet.
(2) Log in to the app using your Instagram account.
You will see an icon to access your Instagram feed at the top right. Press it to open Instagram.
NOTE: In order to utilize the reposting feature, you MUST enter Instagram from the Repost app.
(2) Tap the ... button above the picture you want to share.
(3) Tap the Copy Share URL link to copy the picture's link to the clipboard.
(4) Press the Back to Repost link at the upper left.
(5) After you return to the Repost App, you will see the Instagram image you selected. Press on it to open the Repost for Instagram interface.
(6) Choose the photo credit.
Using the buttons at the bottom of the screen, choose where to place the account name of the original poster and whether you want the credit to be black text on a white background (Light) or white text on a black background (Dark).
Tap the blue "Repost" button at the bottom of the screen when finished.
(7) Tap the "Copy to Instagram" button.
You will now be redirected back to the Instagram app.
(8) Add a caption and tag the Instagram user.
At this point you could apply filters or perform edits to the picture, but since you are showcasing someone else's post, this is not advisable.
Tap the "Next" button at the top right of the screen.
Tag the Instagram user who original posted the picture so that they will know that you shared it. Remember to add appropriate hashtags so that you can increase the reach of your photos.
(9) Share the Instagram photo.
When everything is ready, tap the "Share As" button at the bottom of the screen.
You've done it! You have successfully reposted an Instagram photo using Repost for Instagram.